Recipe by SpunkyGenius
Found this online (original recipe here: http://www.genericdomain.net/--ddl/recipes/tempeh-casserole.html) and modified the recipe somewhat. Feel free to substitute out some spices or veggies. I actually haven't made this with tempeh, used a bag of partially-defrosted quorn tenders instead. Delicious!
Top Review by wuwei
This is a terrific tempeh preparation that will please vegetarians and meat eaters alike. I didn't have any cauliflower or broccoli on hand so I used a green pepper and some red cabbage. I think this recipe would work well with most vegetable combinations. The flavor imparted by the marinade had the depth l was looking for in a hardy winter dish and I will certainly use this again. Awesome!
- 236.59 ml red wine
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml low sodium soy sauce (I use tamari)
- 9.85 ml hot sauce
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 4.92 ml italian seasoning
- 4.92 ml nutritional yeast
- 2.46 ml rosemary
- black pepper
- 226.79 g package tempeh, diced (or use another meat substitute of your choice)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 118.29 ml mushroom, sliced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 354.88 ml cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and jarlsburg...use whatever you have on hand, or soy cheese if vegan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together marinade ingredients (red wine, tamari, hot sauce, spices).
- Add tempeh, garlic, and musrooms to marinade. Turn mixture into casserole dish (mine is 9x13). The pieces should be evenly distributed and about half-covered by marinade. Spoon out any excess marinade and combine with chopped veggies.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Mix broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini (or whatever vegetables you're using) with reserved marinade.
- Add veggies and extra marinade to casserole. Distribute evenly, recover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, veggies should be just starting to get soft.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over veggies, top with chopped tomatoes, and top with remaining cheese.
- Recover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Enjoy with crusty bread, rice or couscous.