Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 lb fresh cauliflower
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped chili pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- Cook the rice according to the method that you prefer (stovetop, microwave).
- Steam the cauliflower until tender (again, stovetop, microwave).
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the mushrooms and onions and saute until soft.
- Add the chile pepper and tomatoes, continue sauteing until completely cooked through.
- Mix the rice with the sauteed vegetables.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the paprika, and the salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
I have to agree that the instructions were a bit vague. I followed Bergy's suggestions, only using one egg. I cut the cauliflowerettes into small, bite-size pieces. I really liked this casserole, but for some reason, the chili peppers seemed out of place. Maybe next time I will omit the chili peppers and add some garlic, which I think would add a wonderful touch to this dish. Thanks for posting!! ~Manda
This is a very good casseroke. The nice thing is that you can get it ready in the AM and pop it in the oven 45 minutes before serving, The instructions were a bit vague, what size should the cauliflower forets be? I chopped them and it worked well, When do you put in the cauliflower? Well to me it was obvious to add it with the sauted veggies. Next time I would use only 1 egg. Thankyou the casserole was enjoyed by all and good luck in our contest
I am in agreement with the previous reviewers that the instructions on the cauliflower were vague. I think that I would just blanche the cauliflower because it is going to be baked for 40 minutes and omit one of the eggs. I would also add garlic, dill and fresh Parm. cheese to this recipe. I will combine the dill and fresh Parm. with the egg when I add it to the dish. Thank you for sharing your recipe and good luck with your recipe.