9 hrs 35 mins
This is a contest winning recipe from Quick Cooking Magazine. Doesn't it sound like a good meal on a cold, winter night?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or 1/2 cup additional beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1Place the first four ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- 3Drain on paper towels.
- 4Reserve drippings.
- 5In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 6Add meat; seal and shake to coat.
- 7Brown the beef, onion and garlic in drippings and oil.
- 8Transfer to slow cooker.
- 9Stir in broth, wine or additional broth, bay leaf, thyme, reserved bacon and remaining salt and pepper.
- 10Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until tender.
- 11Discard bay leaf.
- 12Combine soup and water; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water; stir into slow cooker.
- 13Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Vegetable Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.0
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 142.1 mg
- Sodium 1070.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 42.6 g