Recipe by Sharon123
Yum. Noodles with broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms, baked with cheddar and ricotta cheese. Delicious!
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
I thought this was yummy! I wasn't sure what to expect due to the widely differing reviews, and I have to say I was pleased that I took a chance on this one. I scaled it down to one serving which I baked in a 6 oz au gratin dish--perfect! I did add a Tbsp of extra cheese on top, and instead of ricotta I used cottage cheese since I had some on hand. I was also generous with the garlic and I added a few slices of summer squash to the sauteed veggies. Yum! I will definitely make this again, as I imagine it can only be yummier made in the full amount. Thanks for posting! Made for Healthy Choices 2008!
- 1⁄2 lb broad egg noodle
- 2 -3 stalks broccoli
- 1⁄4 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon pressed garlic
- 1⁄2 lb part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-by-9-inch nonstick pan.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Coarsely chop the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Steam the vegetables together for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic.
- Sauté for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, mushrooms, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and dry mustard.
- Toss to thoroughly mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mixture in the nonstick pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese all over the top of the kugel.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese bubbles and browns slightly.