Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yum. Noodles with broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms, baked with cheddar and ricotta cheese. Delicious!
- 1⁄2 lb broad egg noodle
- 2 -3 stalks broccoli
- 1⁄4 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon pressed garlic
- 1⁄2 lb part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-by-9-inch nonstick pan.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Coarsely chop the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Steam the vegetables together for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic.
- Sauté for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, mushrooms, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and dry mustard.
- Toss to thoroughly mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mixture in the nonstick pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese all over the top of the kugel.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese bubbles and browns slightly.
I thought this was yummy! I wasn't sure what to expect due to the widely differing reviews, and I have to say I was pleased that I took a chance on this one. I scaled it down to one serving which I baked in a 6 oz au gratin dish--perfect! I did add a Tbsp of extra cheese on top, and instead of ricotta I used cottage cheese since I had some on hand. I was also generous with the garlic and I added a few slices of summer squash to the sauteed veggies. Yum! I will definitely make this again, as I imagine it can only be yummier made in the full amount. Thanks for posting! Made for Healthy Choices 2008!
This was not very good. It was too bland...so sorry.
Very tasty! I ran out of cauliflower, so I used all broccoli. I did use all full-fat ingredients (cheeses, that is) and it was delicious. I didn't have any dried mustard, so I just added dijon mustard to taste. The mustardy flavor went very well. I used a Welsh white cheddar, which was just so yummy with this. I guess maybe I had more vegetables or something, but I made this in a 9x13 and it was quite full- I can't imagine that mine would have fit in a 9x9. Really tasty though- great comfort food. Creamy and full of veggies, cheese and noodles- what's not to love? Thanks, Sharon!