Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
not your usual sweet potato dish
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes or 2 1⁄2 lbs yams, unpeeled,cut into 3 inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- preheat oven to 350.
- in saucepan boil potatoes, then lower to simmer for 30 minutes.
- drain and cool heat 3 tbsp oil in skillet, add onions, cook until slightly brown, about 15 minutes.
- peel potatoes and mash in large bowl.
- add oil and onions, ginger, salt, pepper.
- add eggs and mix well.
- pour into greased baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil bake 45 minutes, uncovered.
This was excellent! The flavor was very different from any baked sweet potato dish I have made before and I really enjoyed it. I used red onions, which provided little specks of color that was vey appealing and gave a nice flavor to the dish. I halved the recipe and it came out perfectly (half recipe was ready 10 minutes earlier). If you are looking for an alternative to the usually sweet versions of a baked sweet potato casserole, then you've found your dish. A real winner enjoyed by all tasters.
I doubled the recipe. I added 20 minutes to cook time, but it is still not cooked. Should this be cooked for 45 minutes or 1 hour and 15 minutes? I'll keep cooking it until the bottom browns. Hopefully, it will turn out okay.
What a wonderful kugel! I used one red onion and one yellow. The ginger gave it a most unusual flavor. Since I made this for Passover, I used matzah meal instead of breadcrumbs. Everyone raved! Will definitely make this again!