Recipe by chia
not your usual sweet potato dish
Top Review by HeatherFeather
This was excellent! The flavor was very different from any baked sweet potato dish I have made before and I really enjoyed it. I used red onions, which provided little specks of color that was vey appealing and gave a nice flavor to the dish. I halved the recipe and it came out perfectly (half recipe was ready 10 minutes earlier). If you are looking for an alternative to the usually sweet versions of a baked sweet potato casserole, then you've found your dish. A real winner enjoyed by all tasters.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes or 2 1⁄2 lbs yams, unpeeled,cut into 3 inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350.
- in saucepan boil potatoes, then lower to simmer for 30 minutes.
- drain and cool heat 3 tbsp oil in skillet, add onions, cook until slightly brown, about 15 minutes.
- peel potatoes and mash in large bowl.
- add oil and onions, ginger, salt, pepper.
- add eggs and mix well.
- pour into greased baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil bake 45 minutes, uncovered.