Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
A delicious non-traditional sweet potato pie from famous vegetarian restaurant Greens, in San Fran. Great for the holidays!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 medium leeks (4-5 oz)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake the potatoes until the center is tender when you stick a knife in it.
- Prepare tart dough. (Use your preferred pie crust. I use 1c flour, 1/3c oil, 1/6 c water, 1/4t salt and blend in food processor, then mold it to the pie dish with the palm of my hand.).
- Trim the leeks, and cook 7-10 minutes on medium heat in butter until tender. Add dash of water 3-4 mins into cooking to keep them from burning.
- Place all tart ingredients into food processor and blend. Mash the potatoes (skins excluded) and add to the mix.
- Cook tart shell for 10 mins at 400.
- Pour the tart mix into the shell and bake at 375 for 45-40 minutes or until golden. Gently shake the dish, and if the center giggles loosely, it needs more time.
- Note: I made this with evaporated milk instead of cream, and didn't have gruyere so used parmesan and goats cheese. I also didn't have parsley, so added more thyme. I doubled the recipe and used an 11x14 dish. It came out great!