1 hr 20 mins
Vegan Thanksgiving!'s Note:
This recipe was adapted from one from Living Without magazine. As they say, "the better the ingredients, the better the end result, so use delicious homemade bread, if possible". We used a rice bread from a gluten-free bakery and did not like the result. We've since moved on to veganize/gluten-free an old Betty Crocker Bread Stuffing recipe (see that recipe) from our Standard American Diet days, but if this one sounds more appealing, try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups gluten free bread, cubes (about half a 2-3 lb loaf)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups gluten-free vegetable stock (probably less since carrots, apples, and cranberries were omitted)
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Line a cookie sheet with aluminim foil. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet.
- 3Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until cubes are dry. Turn the cubes once or twice during baking.
- 4In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion and. Ook until tender, browning a bit at the edges.
- 5Add spices and celery and saute an additional 2-3 then set aside.
- 6Pour dried bread cubes into a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- 7Stir in sauteed vegetables and distribute throughout the cubes.
- 8Drizzle broth over mixture, stirring to coat (but not soak) the cubes. You may need less broth to accomplish this.
- 9Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- 10Cover stuffing with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes. For a crispy top, remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 41.7
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 124.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten free bread
gluten-free vegetable stock