1 hr 5 mins
Chef #248725's Note:
This is my father-in-law's stuffing recipe and it’s always a hit around my house. I get begged to make it even when it isn't Thanksgiving! The best part is, without the oysters, it’s completely vegetarian. I usually make 3 recipes: 2 for inside the turkey and one in a pan in the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh oyster (can be omitted)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups freshly dry bread cubes (use a mixture of white, wheat, and bagels)
- 1 teaspoon salt (if using canned boullion that is salted, omit the additional salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1Sauté celery, onion, mushrooms, and spices in butter for 5 minutes.
- 2Toss bread cubes in sauté mixture.
- 3Cover and cool in refrigerator overnight.
- 4Loosely stuff in the front neck cavity and back end of turkey.
- 5Allow about 1 cup of stuffing for each pound of turkey.
- 6If you prefer to cook the stuffing separate from the bird, place in a casserole dish (glass or metal).
- 7Cook at 350 for 45-50 minutes, basting frequently with stock.
- 8WATCH IT! It will burn easily.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.2
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.1 mg
- Sodium 989.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: