4 hrs 20 mins
This is a great soup to make on a cold day, when you want your whole house to smell like something good is cooking. I'm not sure why, but my family likes to eat this soup on Christmas Eve, so it has become a tradition for us. I first started making this soup when I started dating my husband. Now 15 years and 3 children later, it is one of his favorites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover split peas with 2 quarts of water.
- 2Bring to boil for 2 minutes, and then remove from heat and soak for 1 hour.
- 3Add hamhocks, onion, garlic salt, marjoram, and red pepper flakes.
- 4Bring to a boil.
- 5Add bay leaves, celery, carrots, and chicken bouillon.
- 6Reduce heat to simmer.
- 7Simmer for 2 hours and stir occasionally.
- 8Remove hamhocks and cut meat from ham hock and return to soup.
- 9Discard fatty portions.
- 10Add sausage chunks and simmer for 1 hour.
- 11Serve and enjoy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Split Pea and Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.1
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.4 mg
- Sodium 717.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.4 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: