Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a great soup to make on a cold day, when you want your whole house to smell like something good is cooking. I'm not sure why, but my family likes to eat this soup on Christmas Eve, so it has become a tradition for us. I first started making this soup when I started dating my husband. Now 15 years and 3 children later, it is one of his favorites.
- Cover split peas with 2 quarts of water.
- Bring to boil for 2 minutes, and then remove from heat and soak for 1 hour.
- Add hamhocks, onion, garlic salt, marjoram, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add bay leaves, celery, carrots, and chicken bouillon.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 2 hours and stir occasionally.
- Remove hamhocks and cut meat from ham hock and return to soup.
- Discard fatty portions.
- Add sausage chunks and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy.
Very good thick and meaty split pea soup. Loved the addition of kielbasa along with the ham hocks. The recipe I normally use only simmers the peas for 1 hour, so with this recipe I covered the pot after the first hour of simmer time so that the liquid did not all evaporate. I did have to add a little chicken broth to thin it to our liking. Will make this one again.