Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A nice spinach-rice casserole. You can lighten up the ingredients by choosing low-fat soup and cheese and of course, substitute cooked brown rice for white. Prep time does not include initial cooking time for rice.
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken and mushroom soup (or cream of celery soup)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Combine all ingredients in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir before serving.
This was a GREAT way to get my kids to eat spinach. It's really good as is, but we thought it needed a sprinkle of salt and pepper, which is quite an easy fix (I would have given it 4 1/2 stars without salt/pepper, though we don't have the option, but it's definitely 5 stars after seasoning). My kids especially loved the addition of the cheese, and I loved the fresh taste the green onion added to this dish, it was a great addition. So good! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Nancy's Pantry.
This is comfort food! It reminds me of a broccoli casserole my mom used to make. I halved the recipe, and used fresh spinach that I chopped up before adding instead of using frozen. I'll save this one.....just a great, comforting side dish. Thanks for sharing!