Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this recipe on the back of some generic-brand bread crumbs a long time ago, and with some generous tweaking (including replacing the breadcrumbs with healthier oatmeal) it has become my favorite meatloaf recipe. I've made this with ground beef and ground chicken, so you don't have to use ground turkey if you'd prefer not to. As you can tell from the ingredients, this is going to be spicy, so be warned!
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded & minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable juice (or just plain tomato juice)
- 1⁄8 cup sriracha sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- Combine dry oatmeal, egg, onions, peppers, and salt in a bowl. Add gound meat, and mix it lightly with your hands.
- Gradually add the hot sauce and HALF of the vegetable juice. Mix together lightly, but well.
- Shape into loaf in a shallow baking dish. Pour remaining juice on top. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
This is a nice and flavorful meatloaf! Pretty spicy which is great for us - we love a little heat :) DH thought this was great; I loved the taste but thought the texture was a little off and I may use less oatmeal next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe!