Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
After trial and error, finally came up with a nut recipe that was nicely spiced, and not greasy for the oil. These are wonderful snacking food, and great for serving with drinks.
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Whisk egg white and water until foamy.
- Toss with nuts, and pour into strainer.
- Strain for 3 minutes.
- Pour nuts into brown paper bag, and shake with spices until coated.
- Pour onto cookie sheet and spread out.
- Bake 15 minutes and stir.
- Lower heat to 225 degrees, and bake 1 hour, stirring a few times.
- Turn off oven and cool with door propped open.
- Store in airtight container.
This method works really well - spices stick to the nuts and the end result is crispy rather than oily as most spiced nut recipes are. We found this spice mix to be too mild for us, but that's easily fixed. Thanks for sharing!
I have made this many times over the past year and every time I love it! I have used in snack towers and as a gift on it's own. I use a chiptole chili powder which gives the nuts a really nice smokey flavor. An added benefit is that the house smells great while they cook! My one piece of advice is if you are planning on giving them as a gift, wrap them quickly before you eat them all, they are very addictive!
I made this as part of snack gift tower. My Father-In-Law was very impressed and kept saying how tasty they were! I followed the recipee exactly as stated with one small change. I used a Chipotle chili powder because I really like the smokey taste of chipotle. I think that change gave this a little kick. Thanks for the great recipee!