Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A savory spaghetti sauce that is a blend of several recipes. After cooking 30 years for DH, this is the one he requests for his birthday. Use a good red wine in the sauce. Remember the "rule", don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink. I sometimes add capers to the sauce or extra olives. Italian Sausage may be used for part of the meat. This is much better than those expensive gourmet sauces in a jar. If you have a newer slow cooker you may want to adjust cook time or set on low. I understand from 'Zaar forums, the new slow cookers cook hotter and faster.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green olives
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- hot cooked spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- Brown ground beef and transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, garlic, water, olives, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, Worcestershire, sugar, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes.
- Place whole bay leaves down into sauce.
- Cover and cook on high 5 to 6 hours.
- If sauce seems thin, blend cornstarch into cold water.
- Add cornstarch mixture to spaghetti sauce, cover and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, and serve over hot cooked spaghetti or pasta of your choice.
- Pass the Parmesan cheese.