Recipe by The Spice Guru
My bulk seasoning recipe for some of the best fried chicken, pork chops, or chicken fried steak you can make... and eat! To prepare fried chicken, follow Savory Southern Fried Chicken, for complete brining, breading and frying instructions. This recipe yields enough seasoning for 3 batches fried chicken, or up to 6 batches pork chops or chicken fried steak.
- 3 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons celery, salt
- 2 tablespoons ground sage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground leaf thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground mace or 3⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 3⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- 3/8 TEASPOON IS 1/4 TEASPOON PLUS ONE-HALF OF 1/4 TEASPOON. TO PREPARE A SINGLE BATCH OF FRIED CHICKEN OR TWO BATCHES PORK CHOPS OR CHICKEN FRIED STEAK, FOLLOW THIS RECIPE: 1 tablespoon fine sea salt, 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons celery salt, 2 teaspoons ground sage, 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar, 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme, 1.4 teaspoon ground mace (or 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg), 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Shake mixture well in a resealable container with 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch.
- GRIND fennel seeds, rosemary leaf, and thyme, separately in a clean spice mill or coffee grinder, as finely as possible (for best grinding results, use 4 tablespoons of each).
- MEASURE all recipe ingredients into a medium resealable container then seal.
- SHAKE container well until thoroughly blended (if necessary, break up any clumps by pressing mixture with the back of a spoon, then re-seal and shake mixture again).
- STORE tightly sealed in a cool, dry place away from light.
- FOR FRIED CHICKEN BREADING: Measure 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/3 level cup of this seasoning in a resealable container. Seal and shake well. If double-breading chicken, add an another 5 teaspoons flour and 1 teaspoon cornstarch to breading.
- FOR CHICKEN FRIED STEAK OR PORK CHOP BREADING: Measure 7/8 cup of flour (3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons), 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and 8 teaspoons (2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons) of this seasoning into a resealable container. Seal and shake well. If double-breading chicken fried steak or pork chops, add an another 5 teaspoons flour and 1 teaspoon cornstarch to breading.