1/1 Photo of Savory Southern Fried Chicken
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for some of the best fried chicken you can make... and eat, prepared with my Savory Southern Fried Seasoning. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour, eggs and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 -12 fresh cut-up skin-on chicken pieces
- 4 large beaten eggs
- peanut oil
- 1NOTE: YOU CAN SINGLE-BREAD OR DOUBLE-BREAD CHICKEN WITH THIS RECIPE (SEE STEP 6).
- 2WHISK 2 quarts cold water (8 cups) with 2 tablespoons fine sea salt and 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning in a large wide saucepan (with an accompanying lid) until dissolved, for the BRINE.
- 3RINSE and blot chicken pieces; ADD chicken pieces to marinade; COVER and transfer to refrigerator; MARINATE chicken at least 4 hours in refrigerator (preferably overnight), turning chicken as needed.
- 4INTO a large Ziploc bag, add the BREADING ingredients; BREAK up any clumps if present, by hand or using the back of a spoon; SEAL bag containing mixture; SHAKE well until combined.
- 5BEAT 4 eggs in a large bowl, for the EGGWASH; REMOVE chicken from brine with tongs; BLOT pieces with paper towels.
- 6TO SINGLE-BREAD CHICKEN: Dip one piece breaded chicken using tongs, into the eggwash to wet completely. Drop chicken into the breading. Roll chicken well in the breading to coat. Place breaded chicken onto platter to rest for 15-20 minutes. Repeat with remaining pieces. TO DOUBLE-BREAD CHICKEN: Add 5 teaspoons flour plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch to breading and mix well. Drop chicken into the breading and roll it well in the breading to coat. Drop chicken into the eggwash to wet completely. Quickly return chicken to the breading and roll again to coat well. Place double-breaded chicken onto platter to rest for 15-20 minutes. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- 7PREHEAT manufacturer's recommended amount of peanut oil in deep-fryer between to 315°F (OR) preheat enough oil to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot between to 315°F (use a heat-safe thermometer to gauge).
- 8PLACE breaded chicken to the elevated fry basket in deep-fryer without crowding; LOWER the basket slowly into the hot oil (or gently lower breaded chicken pieces using tongs into stovetop pot, turning once halfway through frying duration).
- 9FRY chicken between 16-20 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done).
- 10DRAIN on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; REPEAT the same cooking procedures until all chicken is fried. DRAIN chicken on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; TRANSFER rack over a baking sheet and keep chicken warmed in a preheated 170°F oven until serving; SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Southern Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.6
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 2372.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: