Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe passed along to me by my great grandmother. We love our bread in this family and this is a great celebration of that.
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 slices bacon, diced and cooked
- 1 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg, beaten,to glaze
- Sift flour, cayenne pepper and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the center and gradually add milk, mixing with a knife to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead.
- Roll out dough to form a rectangle, 12x10".
- Combine filling ingredients and sprinkle over dough leaving a 1" border of dough around the edges.
- Starting at the longest edge, roll up jelly roll fashion to enclose filling.
- Place seam side down on baking pan.
- Lightly brush with beaten egg.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until roll is well risen and golden brown, then serve hot.