Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tasty little buggers. These bear a close resemblance to Scottish sausage rolls.
Make and share this Savory Sausage Rolls recipe from Food.com.
SAUSAGE MEAT FILLING
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork, lean
- 1⁄4 lb ground lamb, ground veal or ground turkey,lean
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 -3 ounces shredded suet (, use less if your meats are very fatty)
- 2 -3 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 lemon, zest of
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh mixed herbs, , chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- plain flour (for coating)
- 8 ounces frozen puff pastry, thawed in accordance with manufacturer's instructions
- 8 ounces sausage meat
- plain flour
- milk (to glaze)
- ----SAUSAGEMEAT FILLING----.
- Put the first 13 ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg and mix again with a fork until everything is thoroughly combined.
- ----SAUSAGE ROLLS----.
- Roll the pastry out thinly into a rectangle approximately 9" x 9" and then cut it lengthwise into 2 strips.
- Divide the sausage meat into 2 pieces, dust with flour, and form into 2 rolls the length of the pastry.
- The rolls should be about ¾ inch in diameter.
- Lay a roll of sausage meat down the center of each strip, brush down the edges of the pastry with a little milk, fold one side of the pastry over the sausage meat and press the two edges firmly together.
- Seal the long edges (optional) together by flaking.
- Brush the length of the two rolls with milk, then cut each into slices 1½ to 2 inches long.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 °F to cook the meat thoroughly, and then reduce the temperature to 350 °F and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Can be served hot or cold, as appetizers or part of a main course.
Very good. I had to use ground turkey. They taste almost as good as the sausage rolls I remember eating when I lived in Scotland.