Prep 22 mins
Cook 28 mins
These are filled with sausage and Gruyere cheese and boy do they hit the spot! We added red pepper flakes and it made it even more delectable. We used turkey sausage but reduced-fat pork sausages were used in the original which I found in Cooking Light Magazine, October 2009 edition.
- 11 ounces refrigerated French bread dough
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
- 8 ounces turkey sausage, cooked & crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere cheese (3 oz)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Find lengthwise seam in dough; beginning at seam, gemtly unroll dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough into 13x8" rectangle; brush with butter, leaving a 1/2" border.
- Combine sage, salt, crushed red pepper flakes (if using), & sausage.
- Sprinkle sausage mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2" border; top with cheese.
- Starting with a long side, roll dough up, jelly-roll fashion; press seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll.).
- Cut1 (1/2" thick) crosswise slice from each end; discard.
- Slice roll into 12 (1/2" thick) pieces; arrrange in a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350ºF for 28 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with lemon wedges.