Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This stew really warms the soul. I cannot wait until winter comes so that I can have a pot of this simmering on the stove. Delicious served with corn bread or corn muffins
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder (1/4 cube)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (left intact)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- Brown the sausage and onions in a stock pot. Add in the garlic and stir for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beef bouillon powder tomato sauce, thyme sprigs, oregano and water. Bring mixture to a low boil and cover cooking for 30 minutes.
- Add in the spinach, salt and pepper to taste and cover cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Ladle in large shallow bowls and serve with corn bread or corn muffins.
It has been so hot here but I was craving a good hearty soup. I made this last night for DH and DS. Everyone raved. We loved it! Thank you so much for the recipe. I doubled the recipe and froze some for later. I know it will be even better the 2nd time a round!