Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love this but don't get to have it very often because nobody in my family likes sauerkraut as much as I do. This is so easy and delicious! Adapted from a Sunset cookbook recipe. I sometimes add chopped, cooked bacon to this.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings (best) or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Fry the chopped onion in hot bacon fat until soft. Add sauerkraut, tomatoes, caraway seed and sugar; mix thoroughly.
- Turn into a 1 1/2-quart casserole and bake uncovered in a 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes.
Oh my gosh, this is so good. It is hard to stop eating it. What a good way to fix Sauerkraut, differant,easy and and so good. Thank you Judy for posting the recipe it is a keeper.
Yummy!! Made cornbeef and mashed potatoes with the saurkraut and it was delish!!!
Very tasty! I did use the bacon grease as recommended. This is a great recipe for jazzing up canned sauerkraut. I'll be making this again; thanx!