Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This portuguese family favorite is a perfect way to enjoy leftover steak or pork chops....perfect served with spaghetti.
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 large onion, cut into 6 sections
- 1 dried hot peppers or 1⁄2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes, if unavailable
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley, whole
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 dash cinnamon
- olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- leftover cooked meat, cut into bite size pieces
- Place oil in a large frying pan, just enough to cover the base of the pan. Heat the oil, then add the onion sections and garlic and saute until soft. Add the remaining spices and whole parsley and simmer for several minutes. Add the wine and water and simmer until sauce is hot.
- Place the leftover meat in the sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- If there is not enough sauce, you can add a little more water.
- In the meantime, cook spaghetti according to the package directions.
- Remove the parsley and onions and discard before serving.