Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
The hardest part of this recipe is peeling the squash! Inspired by Recipe Roasted Chicken With Squash -- Reduce the garlic powder, pepper, and thyme, if you don't like it so savory!
- 1 butternut squash (about 5 cups cut-up)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (SCANT ~ or between 1/4 - 1/2 tsp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (scant ~ or between 1/4 - 1/2 tsp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel, remove seeds, and cut squash into large bite size pieces; place pieces into a medium sized bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a small glass bowl or Pyrex measuring cup for about 1 minute in the microwave.
- Combine chicken granules with the warmed olive oil ~ stir until well combined and granules begin to melt. Stir in garlic powder, salt, pepper, and ground thyme ~ mix well.
- Pour olive oil/chicken granule/seasoning mixture over squash pieces ~ with a spoon, toss well to coat!
- Spread pieces onto a shallow sided pan (cookie sheet) sprayed with cooking spray.
- COVER the pan with aluminum foil and roast for 20 minutes, then remove cover.
- Baste squash pieces with the maple syrup and continue roasting (UNCOVERED) for 15 minutes.
I just loved this squash, it was fantastic. I don't like really sweet flavours so I did reduce the maple syrup to 2 tbsp and that was perfect for me. DH hates squash but I made him try it and he says it's "ok" which is actually a compliment coming from him. Thanks KUW, I have added it to my "favourites" and even if it is kind of weird of me, I had some for breakfast! Made for Fall PAC 2012.
This was perfect. I needed a more savory recipe than the one I usually use because I needed to pair it with chicken parmesan casserole. The maple syrup gave it just that tiny hint of sweetness that makes squash so addicting. The seasoning made it versatile enough to pair with most dishes.