Recipe by Smoky Okie
This is a savory all in one that is excellent for use on just about any dry roasted red meat or poultry. I developed it out of reminiscences of holiday roasts that filled the house with delicious aromas. We used to season with each ingredient separately, but decided that it was quicker and easier to put it together ahead of time. It is a very frequent use item in our pantry, and you can be gauranteed a perfect roast beef, or pork roast every time. This makes a large quantity, but if you serve it to company, you will get alot of request for a little to take home. We probably send 2-3# home with folks per year. You can omit the MSG if you like, but it is a very worthwhile ingredient in this rendition.
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons ground marjoram
- 6 tablespoons ground sage
- 4 tablespoons ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup msg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and whisk together well. Can also be blended in the food processor.
- Coat all sides of roast well and rub inches.
- Allow to macerate for an hour or so.
- Roast meat as you normally would.
- Be prepared to fill the house with an aroma thick and delicious enough to eat.