Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great variation of an old traditonal favorite. Suggestions: Cook the onions until they are fairly crisp and add a bit of lox to the skillet as you are frying the eggs and some dill toward the end for a perfectly fabulous dish. Decrease the salt if you add lox.
- 6 (36 inch) unsalted matzos
- 6 large eggs
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 22.18 ml fresh dill, chopped
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 2 red bell peppers, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Break matzos into roughly 1-inch pieces into a colander, then rinse under hot tap water until pieces are softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly beat eggs with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon dill in a large bowl and stir in matzos until coated well.
- Cook onions and peppers in oil in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add matzo mixture, then increase heat to moderately high and sauté, stirring frequently and breaking up clumps, until matzos are well browned, about 17 minutes. Season with salt, then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon dill.