Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a savory pumpkin soup, as an alternative to those with pie-like seasonings. Some in my family don't appreciate the more traditional pumpkin spices, and this recipe is very savory and welcomed by all! This is a yummy, adaptable soup. I have also tried various options, with much success. For a sweeter taste, add some well-cooked and pureed sweet potatoes. Butternut squash also matches well. Shrimp is a nice addition. I cooked some and then added to the dish before serving. This soup also works very well in a crock pot. Wait to add the sour cream until close to serving time. I did try it without sour cream, and that was nice as well, but I prefer the creaminess.
- 1 (15 ounce) canorganic pumpkin (you may also roast a pumpkin yourself)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 bunch organic kale (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 5 baby portabella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
- 1 (4 ounce) container sour cream (I use fat-free)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shrimp or chicken, I added shrimp and it was very tasty
- Chop garlic and cook in olive oil for 30 seconds - 1 minute. Add the pumpkin, and vegetable/chicken stock, water, curry powder and cumin. Bring this to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use an immersion/stick blender to blitz the soup until smooth. Add sliced mushrooms (and chicken or shrimp, if desired). Turn heat to low and simmer until kale is done.
- Wash the kate well in a bowl of water. Separate the leaves from the stems. Discard the stems. Place a frying pan over a medium heat and fill with the kale. Put a lid on the pan, if you have one, and wilt the kale for three minutes, turning every so often so the kale cooks evenly. Remove from the frying pan to a chopping board and leave to cool completely.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir through the sour cream. Grind over some pepper and add salt to taste.
- Chop the kale and add to the soup pot.
- Taste for seasoning.