Recipe by the80srule
Needed to use up some canned pumpkin and I loooove brown lentils. How convenient I also had some veggie broth to use up! I had just under 3 cups of broth so I added some water to even it out to get a full batch of lentils using the 1:3 ratio for brown lentils - liquid. Makes a nice side dish, goes great with broccoli and tofu!
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 15-oz can)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort through the lentils to remove any stones, twigs, etc. and rinse them under the tap a few times.
- Bring the broth to a boil then lower the heat.
- Add the pumpkin and stir until it's completely melded.
- Add the spices and mix well.
- Add the lentils and loosely cover the pot, let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils have softened a little bit.
- Fluff up and serve, salt and pepper to taste.