Who says pancakes must only grace the breakfast table? The savory vegetable filling makes these puffed gems suitable for a satisfying supper meal. Healthy and tasty! This delicious calorie and fat reduced recipe (158 calories a serving) is from The New Dieters Cookbook.
- nonstick spray coating
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Spray an 8-inch oven proof skillet with nonstick coating. Place in a 450 degree oven for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl use a wire whisk or rotary beater to beat together the eggs and egg whites. Add the milk, flour and salt. Beat until butter is smooth. Immediately pour the batter into the hot skillet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until puffed and browned.
- Meanwhile, spray an unheated medium saucepan with nonstick coating. Preheat over low to medium heart. Add mushrooms, broccoli and onion; cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Toss with tomato, wheat germ and thyme and oregano.
- To serve cut pancake into wedges and spoon vegetable mixture over wedges. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Great pancake! I used full-fat milk and omitted the wheat germ, also I used fresh thyme and increased the Parmesan slightly, very filling! Thanks ncmystershopper!..thanks, Kitten:)
This was great! I was alittle surprised at first to look in the oven and see a "balloon" like shape. I was so worried. Then I took it out(after 20 mins) and it flattened out. I used canned mushrooms and one extra large egg. I served this with sausage and it was a perfect meal! Thanks so much ncmysteryshopper!
Yum, I made this for zaartag and it was delish, my husband added some warm pizza sauce to his and It was like a veggie pizza without all the bread and guilt. Thanks for a great recipe. The vegetable combo can't be beat.