- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced thinly in half-moons
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 medium sized potatoes, 1 inch chunks (leave the skins on for VITAMINS, so you don't feel so bad about that heavy cream)
- 1 teaspoon summer savory
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper for seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- In a good-sized pot, melt butter with oil over medium heat. Wait till the foam from the butter calms down, then add leeks, cook until wilted slightly, and bright green, add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add 4 Tbsp flour, cook a minute or two, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn, until it turns a richer colour of yellow.
- Next, gradually, while stirring, add chicken stock, until all is incorporated, and you do not have lumps. Use a whisk if necessary.
- Add potatoes, savory, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook till potatoes are tender, with the lid ajar, over medium-low heat.
- Remove about a cup of the potatoes.
- Stir in 1 cup heavy cream.
- Mash the reserved 1 cup of potatoes slightly, then stir back into the soup.
- Check for seasoning and serve!