Recipe by FlemishMinx
This recipe is an internet find and the delicious flavor surpassed my expectations. Try to use potatoes of equal size if possible for best results.
- 1 1⁄3 lbs potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour, plus
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard, plus
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 2⁄3 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Cook potatoes whole in boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the same pan as you boiled the potatoes in, saute onion in butter over medium heat until tender and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in all of the flour and the pepper, mixing well.
- Add the water and the bouillon cube and bring to a boil.
- Boil for one minute, stirring.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in all of the mustard and the horseradish.
- Slice the potatoes 1/2 inch thick, and layer them in the baking dish.
- Cover the potatoes with the sauce and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.