Recipe by BecR
Very tender and flavorful meat dish, makes a wonderful gravy. A longtime family favorite. From my father.
Top Review by Lori Mama
If I could give this more than 5 stars, I most certainly would! Fabulous recipe! I used the oven method, but only used 1 large onion as well as tying in fresh thyme into the herb bundle. The aroma was almost unbearable. Delicious! :)
- 3 lbs bottom round beef roast (or rump)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups hot beef bouillon (broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 sprigs parsley, plus
- 2 celery tops, plus
- 1 bay leaf (tied together in bouquet)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dust beef with combination of seasonings and flour.
- Heat oil in heavy oven-proof pan; brown meat, then remove.
- Brown onions and garlic lightly in pan. Replace meat; add remaining ingredients.
- Cover, bake in 350°F oven until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- (Note: May use a crock pot instead of the oven. Cook on low 10-12 hours, -or- on high 5-6 hours).
- Discard bouquet. Serve with pan gravy.
- Makes 10 servings (who are they kidding?).