Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
The "secret ingredient" (anchovy paste) is the key to the wonderful taste.
- 5 lbs boneless lean chuck pot roast
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 (10 ounce) cans condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Wipe pot roast with damp paper towels.
- In hot butter in 6 qt Dutch oven, brown roast well over medium heat, turning on all sides with wooden spoons, about 20 minutes.
- Remove roast; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add onion and garlic to drippings in Dutch oven and cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour until smooth.
- Add vinegar, anchovy paste, honey and broth, stir to mix.
- Tie bay leaves, parsley and peppercorns in cheesecloth bag then add to the Dutch oven.
- Bring to boiling, covered.
- Place in oven and roast 3-3 1/2 hours, or until meat is fork tender.
- Remove and discard cheesecloth bag.
- Remove pot roast to platter.
- Serve with sauce from Dutch oven.