Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is our family’s version of picadillo, full of flavorful beef and vegetables, and it is one of my favorite dishes.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced red bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Brown beef and remove from pan, draining excess fat.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft; add bell peppers and carrot and saute 4-5 more minutes.
- Return beef to pan and stir in next six ingredients (wine through bay leaves).
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and add salt to taste; serve over hot brown rice.