Recipe by Pinay0618
I didn't include the greens when I prepared this - I was only cooking for myself and it was really the egg I wanted. But oh my gosh .. this was some tasty French toast :) Recipe is from Gourmet magazine.
Top Review by ranch-girl
Awesome!! This was sooooo delicious. I made it for four of us using 6 slices of pre-sliced sourdough bread in a 10 X 15 glass pan with 1 1/2 c milk and 2 eggs for the batter. For the greens I cooked two bunches of swiss chard and tossed with a bit of Italian dressing, as I thought cooked greens might be good with this. I made two poached eggs per person. I will leave out the added salt next time, as the parmesan is quite salty anyway. Thanks for posting, we will be having this often! Also - to make it healthier I used 1 % milk with a little olive oil added, and didn't use butter.
- 6 slices baguette, cut 1-inch thick on a diagonal
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, plus a few drops for cooking eggs
- 3 cups baby greens (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle.
- Butter a 1-quart shallow baking dish or a 9-inch pie plate. Arrange bread in 1 layer in dish.
- Whisk together milk, 1 egg, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with cheese and press lightly to help bread absorb custard. Let stand until absorbed, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Dot with butter and bake, uncovered, until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Bring 2 inches water to a boil with a few drops of vinegar in a small deep skillet or saucepan. Break each remaining egg into a cup and slide into water, spacing eggs apart. Poach at a bare simmer to desired doneness (we prefer firm whites with runny yolks, 2 to 3 minutes).
- Meanwhile, toss greens with remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar, oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Divide pain perdu between 2 plates and top with salad. Lift eggs out of poaching liquid 1 at a time with a slotted spoon and place on top of salad. Lightly season eggs with salt and pepper.