1/1 Photo of Savory Parmesan Pain Perdu With Poached Eggs and Greens
I didn't include the greens when I prepared this - I was only cooking for myself and it was really the egg I wanted. But oh my gosh .. this was some tasty French toast :) Recipe is from Gourmet magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle.
- 2Butter a 1-quart shallow baking dish or a 9-inch pie plate. Arrange bread in 1 layer in dish.
- 3Whisk together milk, 1 egg, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with cheese and press lightly to help bread absorb custard. Let stand until absorbed, 15 to 30 minutes.
- 4Dot with butter and bake, uncovered, until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5Bring 2 inches water to a boil with a few drops of vinegar in a small deep skillet or saucepan. Break each remaining egg into a cup and slide into water, spacing eggs apart. Poach at a bare simmer to desired doneness (we prefer firm whites with runny yolks, 2 to 3 minutes).
- 6Meanwhile, toss greens with remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar, oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- 7Divide pain perdu between 2 plates and top with salad. Lift eggs out of poaching liquid 1 at a time with a slotted spoon and place on top of salad. Lightly season eggs with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Parmesan Pain Perdu With Poached Eggs and Greens
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 927.8
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 366.7 mg
- Sodium 1706.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 39.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: