Recipe by Nana Lee
You all know the sweet bakery Napoleons, layered with custard and laced with chocolate. This savory version uses frozen puff pastry, baked and split; then the crispy layers are filled to make tiny sandwiches. I have included a list of sandwich spread suggestions after the directions.
Top Review by Nancy M.
These were easy to prepare. I used tuna salad with fresh herbs as the filling. Would also be good with a boursin type cheese. I was surprised how well they kept in the fridge for several days.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Thaw pastry according to package directions.
- Unfold pastry onto floured surface.
- Cut each sheet into three strips, following the fold lines, then cut each strip into 5 pieces.
- You should then have 30 pieces total, using both pastry sheets.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheets, 15 pieces per sheet, and brush top with egg. (Don't let egg drip down sides of pastry, because that will stop the dough from expanding as it bakes.)
- Bake pastries at 400º F for 15-18 minutes until well puffed and golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Split the pastries in half, place on ungreased cookie sheet split side down, and bake once more at 400 degrees for 3 minutes to crisp the bottoms.
- Fill each set of layers with your choice of fillings or sandwich spreads - I recommend ham salad, any cheese spread, traditional sandwich fillings, or roasted vegetables.
- SANDWICH SPREADS RECIPES SUGGESTIONS:.
- Cottage Cheese Sandwich Spread.
- Creamy Cheese Spread.
- Crunchy Thyme Chicken Sandwich Spread.
- Curried Chicken Sandwich Spread.
- Egg Salad Sandwich Spread.
- Ham, Cheese and Corn Sandwich Spread.
- Hummus Sandwich Spread.
- Olive Spread.
- Pimento Cheese.
- Shrimp Salad Sandwich Spread.
- Spinach Pesto Spread.
- Tofu Egg Salad Sandwich Spread.
- Turkey Cucumber Sandwich Spread.
- Wild Rice Chicken Sandwich Spread.