Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
To save time, I have made this recipe using sauteed diced hash browns in place of potatoes. This frittata is really good!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (can use more)
- 3 medium onions, thinly slices
- 8 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked potatoes (diced into about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese (can use lass)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil with butter in a large frypan over medium-low heat.
- Add in the onion slices; saute for about 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned and caramalized, then season with salt and pepper (leave in the skillet).
- Sprinkle the cooked potato cubes over the onions and sprinkle with black pepper.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and whipping cream together with salt and pepper; pour over the onions and potatoes.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese and thyme leaves.
- Cook covered for about 6 minutes or until almost set.
- Place under the broiler for about 1 minute.
Just finished dinner. Easy to make, easy to clean up. Tastes great! I made it with 3/4 sprinkled with blue cheese and 1/4 sprinkled with shredded pizza cheese for my oldest daughter who doesn't like blue. I also didn't have fresh thyme, and powdered was too strong. Next time I'll try it in a casserole dish and bake it.
Thanks again Kittencal. Appreciated the flavours, but to score higher we would've caramelised the onion, then added the cooked potato to the pan and browned it off a bit more to add extra flavour. Also maybe tossed the two together to distribute the flavours more. If cardiologically cleared we would have also doubled the blue cheese - darned artery calcification!
This was excellent!!!! When doing low carb for breakfast every day it sometimes gets boring but this keeps your taste buds hopping. I cook the onions a bit then but them in the bottom of a casserole dish along with the potatoes then pour the egg mixture over everything and sprinkle w/ blue cheese ( I use more) and thyme then just bake at 350 until a inserted knife comes clean. Easy Easy Easy