Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
As a condiment, this is top of the list! Long, slow cooking lends the onions succulence and depth, which, in turn, adds a wonderful rich flavor to almost any dish. Try this on toast, biscuits, potatoes, pizza, in sandwiches, in a soup or stew, and especially good over Sun Dried Tomato Polenta Cutlets! From Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites Cookbook. Enjoy!
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 large onions)
- 1 -3 tablespoon water
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dry red wine (optional)
- In a well seasoned cast iron or nonstick skillet, combine the onions, 1 tbls.
- of the water, the garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and vinegar and/or red wine, if using.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring often and adding water as needed, until the onions are dark brown, sweet, and richly flavored.
- Chill well before serving.
I had an overwhelming desire to eat the whole thing straight from the skillet! The smell was sooo enticing, it was hard to wait them out! I made much more then two cups worth, so I used your amounts just as a guideline but followed everything else. I put some on my plain dry-baked chicken breast (diet time) and changed a boring dinner into a feast for practically NO calories! Next time I will leave out the wine as the only reason I had any here was from one of my students birthday dinner....but I don't think it will hurt one bit!
What a great recipe to have on hand for lots of different things. Easy peasy to make and it has loads of flavour. I cooked mine for about an hour and 20 minutes because I wanted it to be quite dark. Left out the wine but used the balsamic. Thanks so much for a really versatile recipe!!
Had this one evening as a side dish and yesterday I put the left-overs in with soup. I used the balsamic vinegar, my onions did not come out as dark as on the picture that I saw of it, as you can see on my photo they turned out lighter. I cooked it for an hour to get the onions really soft.