Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Martha Stewart Everyday Food. Was easy and comforting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 bone in skin on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into 6-8 sections
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brown rice
- Salt and pepper chicken to taste.
- In a big dutch oven that has a lid, heat oil then place the chicken thighs skin side down in the hot oil. Brown, then turn pieces over and brown the other side. Approx 5-6 min per side.
- Remove all but 1-2 TBS of the fat from bottom of pot. Add the onion and celery pieces. Put lid on pot and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Add the carrots and the bay leaf, 1 3/4 cup water and rice. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low. Put lid back on and cook for 40 to 45 minutes until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Turn off heat, let pot sit covered for 10 minutres.
The meat was moist and tender and the flavor was great. I did add a little garlic powder but I think next time I will just add a few cloves of garlic. Also a little lemon would be wonderful. I did cook it for 1 hour at the end and some of the rice was not done. I think it would be better to precook the rice and then add at the end. I will definitely make this again.