Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This can be a savory breakfast or a dinnertime side dish. Recipe is from Whole Foods.
Make and share this Savory Oats With Hearty Greens recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 small red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄2 bunch kale or 1⁄2 bunch collard greens, thick stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in oats and cook until coated. Add kale a few handfuls at a time, stirring and adding more as the leaves wilt. Stir in 3 cups of water and salt; bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until oats are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 10 minutes. Serve garnished with Parmesan or nutritional yeast.