Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious vegetarian appetizer. These nut balls have a meaty taste and are very addictive! You can easily vary the types of nuts and spices to suit your taste.
- 3⁄4 cup finely ground walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground cashews
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 small onion, coarsely grated
- 2 beaten eggs or 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, finely ground
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 cup alfalfa sprout, chopped
- prepared mustard (for dipping, e.g. dijon, raspberry, honey, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Note: you can use any combination of ground nuts and seeds to equal 2 cups.
- Mix all ingredients except mustard.
- Form one inch balls.
- Place on oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake until light brown and crunchy, about 20 minute.
- Serve with assorted mustards for dipping.
These have a nice flavor and were very good with the mustard to dip! Good for you too. I halved the recipe and enjoyed it. Thanks! Made for the Vegetarian Swap-March 2009.