1/1 Photo of Savory Mushroom Tofu Pie
Chef #208121's Note:
A mushroom, onion, sour cream and tofu pie from Almost Vegetarian. Fast to make the filling. Use your favorite savory pie dough or phyllo dough for the crust. Freeze the extras if you make more than one. The pie raw will keep up to three months frozen or 3 days if refrigerated. Note you can make ahead the filling up to two days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If using savory dough, prepare it.
- 2Heat oven to 400°F
- 3Place the oil in a skillet [note you can use water for this step if you want to reduce the fat] over med high heat. Add onion, leek, scallion, and ginger and sauté over medium heat until the veggies are limp. Add the vinegar and stir until evaporated.
- 4Add the mushrooms and saute until they give up the liquid, approx 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5Process the tofu and sour cream until smooth. Blender or food processor, your choice. Turn into a large mixing bowl and add the mushroom mix with a slotted spoon then stir to blend.
- 6If using savory dough, roll the dough on a 12 inch square of parchment paper into a 10 inch round. Pile the filling in the center and spread out leaving a two inch margin all around. Bring the dough up around the sides as if you were going to encase the filling but leave a 6 inch window. Crimp the dough around the sides to hold in place. Transfer to a baking sheet or a preheated stone. Bake until crust is golden brown and the filling is set, about 40 minutes. If the crust browns before the filling is set, cover with foil and continue to bake at 300°F for about 10 more minutes.
- 7Notes: I personally found this needed a bit more spices. I used Lemon Pepper, Salt, Italian seasoning, a bit of wasabi powder, turmeric (made it a nice gold), and threw in some sliced tomatoes when I blended it. You want amounts? I will jiggle it some more and post corrections. Note I have a strong taste for strong tastes. This is fine with out it but if you like spice play around with it. Also I have used Ricotta cheese [no fat] in place of the sour cream. I have not tried with soy cheese yet.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Mushroom Tofu Pie
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.0
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 37.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 7.1 g