Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Savory muffins to serve with soups, a big salad or on their own for healthy snacking. This recipe was in Pam Anderson's CookSmart column in the USA Weekend paper, Feb 20, 2009. If you want something delectable and nourishing and don't mind messing up four or more different bowls, this recipe is a lucious hit every time. I replace the sugar with agave or leave it out sometimes. These freeze fine, if well-packaged, to add quick pizzazz to a dinner for many or just take one out to reheat solo. I believe this is from her newest (fifth) cookbook called "The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great". Thank you, Pam!
- 236.59 ml crumbled goat cheese (about 4 1/2 ounces uncrumbled)
- 14.79 ml minced fresh rosemary
- 118.29 ml chopped kalamata olive (or other greek black olives)
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 147.89 ml butter, softened
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 354.88 ml plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and adjust oven rack to lower-middle position.
- Prepare the first three ingredients and set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer til fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk mustard and eggs together.
- Beat the mustard-egg mixture into the sugar and butter mixture until pea-sized lumps form (wet ingredients).
- Stir the Kalamata olives into the wet ingredients.
- Stir the goat cheese and the rosemary into the dry ingredients.
- Alternating by thirds, stir the dry ingredients and the yogurt into the wet ingredients until a very thick batter forms.
- Lightly oil 12 large muffin tins of 1/2 cup capacity or four mini-muffin tins with vegetable oil or spray.
- Divide batter evenly among the cups (a spring-action regular or mini ice cream scoop works). Muffin cups will be full.
- Bake until golden brown about 25 minutes for large muffins or 10-12 minutes for the minis.
- Cool slightly in the pan, then remove and serve!
- ALTERNATE FLAVORING to sub for the first three ingredients are: 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1 tablespoon dried oregano and 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes. This combo was great, too!