2 hrs 35 mins
This savory pull-apart loaf is loaded with herby goodness. You can adjust the ratio of white to whole-wheat flour as you like (though you may not get enough gluten if the whole-wheat exceeds a cup and a half). You can bake it in almost any pan; if you have a bundt pan, it makes a really fun shape. Adapted from a recipe by Donna Currie at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/9rgrtf
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (10 ounces by weight)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (2 1/2 ounces by weight)
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1In work bowl of a stand mixer, combine milk, sugar, all purpose flour and yeast. Mix until combined, then cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 2Add whole wheat flour and salt and mix until smooth and elastic. Add 4 tbsp of butter and continue to knead until butter is incorporated and dough is shiny and elastic. Total kneading time is 7-10 minutes.
- 3Coat a clean bowl with oil. Form dough into a neat ball and turn in the oil to coat. Cover with plastic and let rise at room temperature until double in bulk, about 45-60 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°F Combine garlic, rosemary, thyme and paprika in the work bowl of a food processor (if you have a small one, it is ideal for this). Process until garlic is finely chopped, 10-12 one-second pulses. Add remaining 4 tbsp butter and salt and process until well-blended, about 10 seconds. Set aside at room temperature.
- 5Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface; hand knead for 15-30 seconds. Using a bench scraper, divide dough in half. Repeat 4 more times to form 32 even pieces of dough. Shape dough pieces into balls: place a ball on the work surface, cup the hand loosely with open fingers over the ball and move the hand in a circle so the ball "rolls around" in the cage formed by the fingers. Coat each ball in herb butter (use your fingers) and place into a baking dish, cake pan, loaf pan or bundt pan. Drop balls in loosely; do not compress them. Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled in bulk again, 30-45 minutes.
- 6Bake until loaf is a deep golden-brown color, about 35 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Monkey Bread
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.6
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 34.8 mg
- Sodium 455.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 6.3 g