1/1 Photo of Savory Mediterranean Biscuits
The trio of kalamata olives, feta cheese and sundried tomatoes really make these savory biscuits stand out. My mom clipped this from a magazine awhile back; I think it might've been Good Housekeeping. I love the flavor of these: buttery, cheesy, slightly salty, tangy, yum! I usually just eat them by themselves but I could see them being eaten alongside a spinach salad for a light dinner, or maybe alongside a lamb or chicken entree. If you like you can substitute dried oregano for the dried basil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and snipped
- 3/4 cup light cream or 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon light cream or 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- kalamata olive, whole (optional)
- 1In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the first five ingredients (flour through salt). Using a pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Next, stir in the cheese, chopped olives, and tomatoes.
- 2Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and quickly pour 3/4 cup light cream or half and half over it. Stir with a fork until just moistened.
- 3Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead by gently folding and pressing the dough until it's almost smooth. This should take about 10-12 strokes. Be careful not to over-knead as the biscuits will get tough. The dough will still be pretty soft.
- 4Lightly roll out dough into a 10-inch by 8-inch rectangle, about half an inch in thickness. Cut the dough into 2-inch squares.
- 5Arrange biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with the tablespoon of light cream or half and half, then brush the top of each biscuit with this mixture.
- 6Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until biscuits are golden. Remove from baking sheet and serve warm with whole Kalamata olives, if you like.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Mediterranean Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (742 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.3
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.0 mg
- Sodium 192.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g