Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another favourite Campbell's Soup recipe. For years, I thought this soup was no longer on the market and I was so sad because this is the best meat loaf I've ever tasted. Just for the heck of it, I recently asked my mom to look for it in the big city and guess what? It IS still available, just not out in the boonies where we live! I was so excited. You can bet this will be a regular in our home once again, now that I've seriously stocked up on Golden Mushroom Soup!!!! For a slightly different flavour, substitute 1/4 cup of the water for Burgundy or other dry red wine.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 medium potatoes, quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup water
- fluted fresh mushrooms (optional)
- fresh rosemary sprig (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix thoroughly HALF A CUP of soup, beef, bread crumbs, onion, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and egg.
- In a 3-quart oblong baking dish, firmly shape meat into 8x4-inch loaf. Arrange potatoes and carrots around meat loaf.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Spoon off fat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine remaining soup and water. Pour soup mixture over vegetables and meat loaf.
- Bake 30-45 minutes longer or until vegetables are fork-tender and meat loaf is no longer pink. (160-170°F internal temp.).
- To serve, arrange meat loaf with vegetables on platter. Spoon some sauce over meat loaf; pass remaining sauce.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary and mushrooms, if desired.