1 hr 45 mins
I have a friend in Duxbury, MA, who used to describe herself as the "hamburger queen." This recipe was concocted for her to show her that ground meat can not only be truly tasty, but also elegant, exotic and fit for company... This recipe is Bohemian in origin. You may substitute commercial puff pastry, if desired, although it will change the texture and make the results much heavier. Fussing with the phyllo is worth the time and effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground round, best quality lean
- 1 lb ground pork, leanest you can find (grinding your own is the very best idea here)
- 3 -4 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced fine
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced fine
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 -3 leaves fresh savory
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 -2 tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup white wine (substitute chick broth if no wine at hand)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt, pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika, hungarian
- 3 tablespoons fresh curly-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lb frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- butter, melted,as needed
- 1Saute chopped onion and peppers in clarified butter until translucent.
- 2Add ground meat and bread crumbs and brown well.
- 3Deglaze by adding wine (or chicken broth).
- 4Stir and allow alcohol to dissipate.
- 5Transfer meat mixture to large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- 6Season with fresh herbs, salt, pepper and Paprika; add sour cream and beaten egg, mixing thoroughly.
- 7Allow mixture to cool completely in refrigerator, about 15-30 minutes.
- 8Unwrap phyllo dough and lay flat on a damp towel, covering with a second damp towel.
- 9[Phyllo will dry out incredibly fast if you don;t cover it with the damp towel, so do*not* skip this step.
- 10]Transfer phyllo, one sheet at a time to a third damp towel, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- 11Do not butter the last sheet of phyllo after transferring it to the stack.
- 12Remove meat mixture from refrigerator and spoon onto lower 2/3 of the phyllo dough rectangle, leaving room at the edges all the way round.
- 13Fold short ends of the rectangle in over meat mixture.
- 14Brush long end of phyllo with beaten egg mixture.
- 15Grab moist towel on one side and use it to lift and roll the package into a strudel (roll), pinching the egged end to seal.
- 16Transfer the strudel, seal side down, to a well-greased baking sheet.
- 17Brush entire strudel with remaining eggwash.
- 18Transfer sheet to preheated 400-degree oven and bake 45 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- 19Transfer strudel to cutting board, allow it to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- 20Serve with a Caesar or a composed salad for a delicious taste treat.
- 21Makes a great luncheon or brunch dish, too.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Meat Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 980.9
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.3 g
- Saturated Fat 24.8 g
- Cholesterol 225.3 mg
- Sodium 619.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 49.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: