I love savory meat pies (must be my partly Canadian heritage) and I love the annual Taste of Home cookbooks! Here's a variation of a meat pie that includes a little "kick" of chili sauce, lightened by the substitution of ground turkey breast for the ground beef...From the 1999 Annual Taste Of Home cookbook, placed here for safekeeping!...Serve with steamed vegetables for a complete meal!
My Private Note
nine in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 lb ground turkey breast or 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup scallion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced (not dried)
- 1/4 cup chili sauce (bottled)
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C).
- 2In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- 3While the potatoes cook, in a skillet sauté the ground turkey in the oil; drain.
- 4Into the the cooked meat, stir the scallions, carrot, garlic and the seasonings; remove from heat.
- 5When the potatoes are done, mash them down, stir them into the beef mixture with the parsley and chili sauce.
- 6Place one pie crust into a 9 inch pie plate; brush the crust with the Dijon mustard.
- 7Add meat mixture; top with 2nd pie crust; seal and flute crust edges; cut slits in top crust to vent; brush top crust with milk.
- 8Bake in preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes; then reduce oven temperature to 350°F (176°C) and continue baking for approximately 25 minutes more or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.1
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 28.6 mg
- Sodium 250.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried celery flakes