Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love savory meat pies (must be my partly Canadian heritage) and I love the annual Taste of Home cookbooks! Here's a variation of a meat pie that includes a little "kick" of chili sauce, lightened by the substitution of ground turkey breast for the ground beef...From the 1999 Annual Taste Of Home cookbook, placed here for safekeeping!...Serve with steamed vegetables for a complete meal!
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 lb ground turkey breast or 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup scallion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced (not dried)
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce (bottled)
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C).
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- While the potatoes cook, in a skillet sauté the ground turkey in the oil; drain.
- Into the the cooked meat, stir the scallions, carrot, garlic and the seasonings; remove from heat.
- When the potatoes are done, mash them down, stir them into the beef mixture with the parsley and chili sauce.
- Place one pie crust into a 9 inch pie plate; brush the crust with the Dijon mustard.
- Add meat mixture; top with 2nd pie crust; seal and flute crust edges; cut slits in top crust to vent; brush top crust with milk.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes; then reduce oven temperature to 350°F (176°C) and continue baking for approximately 25 minutes more or until golden brown.