Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy for adventurous cooks but family friendly. Just another way to prepare matrzo brei! Mushrooms and herbs have been added to this traditional breakfast treat, which we sometimes have for lunch. This is a slight change of pace for the regular matzo brie with the caramelized onions, mushrooms and rosemary and thyme. Marth Stewart. I hope you wil enjoy as much as we did.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 2 large onions, finely chopped (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 lb white mushroom, chopped medium fine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 8 large eggs
- 8 plain matzos
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF.
- Put a kettle of water (about 3 1/2 quarts) on high heat to boil.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon margarine in a 12-inch skillet on low heat.
- Add onions, and saute over medium-high heat until soft and golden brown, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, and continue cooking until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add rosemary, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Break eggs into a large bowl, and beat lightly.
- Add mushroom mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Make batter:
- Break matzos into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces directly into a colander, and pour the boiling water over them.
- Let matzo stand until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes, and add to the mushroom-egg mixture, adjusting the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Melt remaining tablespoon margarine in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into pan to form a 3-inch pancake, lightly pressing with a spatula to make pancake even.
- Repeat, cooking 3 pancakes per batch.
- Cook pancakes until nicely browned, about 2 minutes.
- Turn and cook the other side about 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to oven to keep warm and repeat process until all the batter is used up, making about 28 pancakes.
- Serve immediately.