I haven't tried this yet, but it caught my eye off another website! This looks like total comfort food on a chilly night. This is a meal in itself with just a simple salad.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box (from 15-oz box)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups hungry jack mashed potato flakes
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits or 4 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion (about 8 medium)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (2 medium for garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (garnish)
- Heat oven to 450°F
- Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell using 9-inch deep-dish glass pie pan or 9-inch glass pie pan. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool while making mashed potatoes.
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, mix water, butter, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in potato flakes, 1/2 cup sour cream and the bacon bits.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup onions in bottom of cooled baked shell; sprinkle with cheese. Spoon and spread potato mixture evenly over cheese. Arrange tomato slices around edge, overlapping if necessary. Brush potato mixture and tomatoes with oil.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F; bake 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated in center. Cool 5 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons onions. Cut into wedges; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.